By J. Cole
Today I managed to check to see if my created Aurasma worked via the school iPads (as I can’t install yet on my own iPad as need the ios9 update). Had a few issues with wifi causing the Auras to be slow loading but got there in the end with DB’s support. Resilience and patience pays off!
Things I learnt today:
- Students need to be connected to your ‘channel’ to be able to read your Aurasma.
- You can request via a ticket on ServiceDesk that your ‘channel’ is added to all student iPads so that they can access the Aurasma’s that you have created ( I have requested this for my own channel)
- DB can be searched via dodieballard
- Ron Wright can be searched via ronwright
- I can be searched by jenteachermes
- QR codes are best used when you want students to ‘keep’ something on their iPad to work on e.g. a website, video etc
- Aurasma is best for something when you want them to see it there and then e.g. a keyword brought to life virtually with a moving image
- Be mindful when adding multiple layers that they cover at least 2/3 or full size on the screen
- There is a difference between static and dynamic display
- The picture that is the trigger doesn’t need to be printed especially for the Aurasma to bring it to life- so existing text books and displays can be made virtual by using the same image that are already there. So, for example, in my office I have a picture already on my display board which I have used now as a trigger for my Aura. I now can use it with the Aurasma app without having to alter the image that’s already there- hope that makes sense!
The Aura that I created is of a Dr. Seuss quote about reading. My overlay is two pictures of my class reading their class novel.
I had the idea that for the Y7 TOTAL unit, we could create Aurasmas for a display outside CD’s office which maybe have a photo of students working linked then to a video of their work for a virtual display. The video is stored within the Aurasma account once uploaded- so I can use the video directly from my laptop.
I’d like to follow anyone else’s Aurasma channels- please let me know your channel names so that I can find you…